As a member of our Service Engineering team, this Engineer is responsible for service and applications support of complex robotic workstations, qPCR instruments, as well as other laboratory equipment. He or she will troubleshoot instrument problems by performing root cause analysis, implementing and documenting appropriate corrective actions, while maintaining instruments to peak performance for Genomic Health's various laboratory environments. These include the Clinical Laboratory where our industry-leading Oncotype DX® clinical diagnostic assays are run, the R&D laboratories where new product concepts are developed, and our Manufacturing and QC laboratories, which provide high-quality reagents for use in the other lab functions within Genomic Health.
The successful candidate will have hands-on experience with liquid handling robotics and an in-depth understanding of current laboratory instruments used for nucleic acid isolation, quantification, and downstream analysis using quantitative RT-PCR. Activities will include responding to instrument related errors, performing root cause analysis to identify the problem, then implementing an appropriate corrective action to repair the instrument in time critical customer service oriented manner. He or she will be expected to develop a working knowledge of all Genomic Health laboratory processes and associated systems such as our LIMS.
This Service Engineer will participate in cross functional teams working in a variety of areas. These efforts will require excellent communication and collaboration with colleagues in Process Engineering, Assay Chemistry, our Clinical and Development Laboratories, Program Management, Research, Analytical Sciences, Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, and other groups.
The successful candidate will be working cooperatively in a dynamic and interdisciplinary laboratory environment, adapting quickly to change and new technical challenges while providing strong technical leadership. This is an excellent opportunity for a team player to participate in the growth of a fast-paced, pioneering company that is developing systematic approaches to applying genomic technology to health, disease, and medical practice.
- Provide Service and Applications support to multiple laboratories at GHI.
- Work cooperatively to diagnose and resolve complex hardware, software, and chemistry issues of robotic workstations, qPCR instruments, and other laboratory equipment.
- Coordinate and/or perform instrument installations and qualifications.
- Develop in-house qualification procedures and other supporting documentation.
- Assist with transferring and testing of robotic processes.
- Maintain and calibrate equipment as necessary.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule to provide on-call support when required.
- Work on independent and team oriented projects to improve the performance of instruments and / or the service group in general.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities :
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude relevant to automated liquid handlers and other general laboratory equipment
- Strong attention to detail and robust problem solving skills
- Ability to quickly adopt and apply new methods and technologies
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Experience with Quality Systems and documentation requirements
- Experience with standard molecular biology techniques such as nucleic acid isolation, RNA/DNA quantification, PCR and RT-PCR
- Working knowledge of database, internet, and other file management applications
Required experience, education and / or licenses / certifications :
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in a relevant scientific or engineering discipline
- 5+ years of relevant experience in use and/or support of automated laboratory equipment
Travel, Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Travel Requirements: No Travel
- Lifting: Must occassionally lift and /or move up to 25 pounds
- Work Environment: Laboratory environment
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE