As part of the Technology Development group, works with a multidisciplinary group of biologists and engineers to design and build robust automated systems that optimize the operations of a high throughput genomics lab. In addition, this position assists the BioAutomation Manager as they evaluate the needs of the different production and research teams throughout the Genome Center. Examples of systems range from small instruments built from scratch to massive systems resulting from the integration of a number of pieces of robotic equipment. Also upgrades, trouble-shoots, and modifies existing automated systems.
Key Reponsibilities include:
- Consults with Bio Automation Manager to identify and analyze automation needs.
- Consults with other Technology Development staff and with other scientists to ensure that automated systems support process requirements.
- Designs instruments and parts. Develops CAD drawings of parts.
- Programs instruments and systems and/or machines parts
- Gathers feedback from systems users and participates in process improvement with scientists and other engineers. Conducts testing of new systems with - Development staff and with users.
- Interacts with multiple vendors to identify new instruments for possible evaluation
- BS in Engineering discipline required
- 0-3 years of professional experience.
- Experience with SolidWorks is a plus.
- Experience in biology and/or genomics is a plus.
- Strong programming ability in following languages is a plus: VB, VC++, C, PLC.
The Broad Institute will not offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity.
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE