Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Comprehensive benefits package
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is presently accepting applications for a Computational Science Developer position. The candidate identified will work under the direct supervision of a faculty member, postdoc, graduate student or Computational Science Manager to develop software, databases and database schemas for scientific research. This position requires a working knowledge of one or more programming languages and software development techniques including, but not limited to, source code management systems, system build systems, requirements analysis, regression testing and bug tracking. The position also includes maintaining and extending production servers, deploying and developing new analysis tools, and supporting researchers in their day-to-day needs. The developer will need a broad technical understanding and diverse technical abilities to aid in the analysis of cutting-edge biological research. The ideal candidate will work closely with non-technical (or semi-technical) users, providing any-and-all computational services to members of a molecular-biology laboratory. Prior experience in a commercial or academic environment is a plus.
• Maintaining production Linux servers, running both in-house and off-the-shelf analysis tools.
• Staying current with academic research and deploying new tools as they become available.
• Interpreting end-user requirements to design and implement new tools or extend existing tools.
• Helping end-users with data analysis and computations.
• Supporting day-to-day user requests and challenges.
A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a quantitative field, such as: bioinformatics, computer science, physics, or mathematics, with a working knowledge of bioinformatics and biological data and one to three years’ experience in a commercial or academic environment developing scientific software.
Applications are also invited from recent graduates with a degree in a quantitative field, such as: bioinformatics, computer science and one year experience working with state-of-the-art scientific software and analysis techniques.
Additional requirements will include:
• Superb Interpersonal skills
• Ability to work independently with very little direct supervision.
• Expertise with Linux /UNIX environments (SGE/PBS clusters – a plus)
• Strong scripting capabilities (PHP, Python, Perl, Awk, Shell)
• Some programming knowledge (mostly C/C++)
• Working knowledge of database administration: Postgres and MySQL.
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is a world-renowned research and educational institution with programs in cancer, neuroscience, plant biology, genomics and bioinformatics. The Laboratory is recognized internationally for its excellence in research and educational activities.