Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Life Technologies currently has a vacancy for an experienced molecular biologist with a background in Bioinformatics. This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious and dynamic individual to join a fast paced global Life Sciences organization, at what is an exciting time in the growth of Life Technologies in Italy.
Field Applications Scientist - Bioinformatics
Language requirements: Italian / English
Please submit applications in English
This role can be based anywhere in Italy (close to transport links)
The Field Application Scientist for Bioinformatics applies knowledge of scientific principles, products, concepts and practices to support a variety of customer inquiries in conjunction with Life Technologies Next Generation Sequencing products. They are responsible for providing phone, E-mail and face-to-face pre- and post-sales technical support and training to external customers and internal field personnel as well as relaying customer feedback to the organization.
· Provide technical bioinformatics support for Life Technologies NGS instruments, related hardware and software products and services by answering customer technical inquiries in a timely manner. Inquiries will be received via phone, email, or during customer visits.
· Provide customer support on technical issues by utilizing all available resources.
· Escalate issues or problems when warranted.
· Participate in training, both new product and continuing education to remain at the edge of scientific knowledge.
· Accurately record pertinent information from customer contacts in Customer Relationship Management system.
· Perform NGS data analysis.
· Provide content for customer training material.
· Participate in pre-sales meetings such as customer visits, workshops or by giving webinars.
· Support the FSE teams during install and maintenance of NGS instruments.
· Present technical updates and contribute to department meetings.
· Lead company, departmental, and individual projects.
· Acts as a Scientific Point of Contact (SPOC) and technical expert for the team on an assigned focus area.
· Proactively contributes to the strategic development of software, documentation and training products.
· Often leads process improvement initiatives.
· May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned.
· Requires a PhD in bioinformatics or a relevant subject or have gained the relevant experience working in this field.
· Minimum 3+ years of bioinformatics experience preferably in an industrial/commercial environment.
· Posses experience in two or more of the following fields: NGS sequencing analysis, genomics, genetics, gene expression analysis, sequence assembly, molecular biology.
· In depth knowledge of bioinformatics software, resources and algorithms.
· Experience of working in a LINUX/UNIX environment and familiarity with building and querying databases.
· IT knowledge and basic system administration skills are required.
· Working knowledge of scripting in a language such as PERL, Java or using Unix.
· Ability to quickly learn large amounts of new, complex technical information.
· Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, to customers and colleagues.
· Proven ability to work independently as part of a field-based team.
· Ability to manage multiple priorities
· Problem-solving ability required
· Capable of mentoring and training peers.
· Ability to represent the department and present to a variety of both internal and external audiences.
· Working Environment
· This position requires repetitive typing, and regular viewing of a computer monitor. Requires talking on the telephone and email with customers and attending conference calls. The post is field based and as such you are required to provide an office in your home. Travel up to 50% of your time may be required.
About Life Technologies
Life Technologies Corporation (NASDAQ: LIFE) is a global biotechnology company that is committed to providing the most innovative products and services to leading customers in the fields of scientific research, genetic analysis and applied sciences. With a presence in more than 180 countries, the company's portfolio of 50,000 end-to-end solutions are secured by more than 5,000 patents and licenses that span the entire biological spectrum -- scientific exploration, molecular diagnostics, 21st century forensics, regenerative medicine and agricultural research. Life Technologies has approximately 10,000 employees and had sales of $3.8 billion in 2012.