Cancer is a devastating disease of the genome that affects nearly everyone at some point in his or her life. This is a unique opportunity to make significant contributions towards Cancer research as part of the Cancer Genome Analysis group at the Broad Institute, a world leader in cancer genome research. The production analysis team is responsible for executing analysis on ~1,000Tb of primary next generation sequencing and array data in a reliable manner consuming ~2,000,000 cpu-hours per year and interacting directly with the research scientists to deliver world-class cancer genome analysis.
Characteristic duties include
• Develop software and pipelines for managing and executing next generation sequencing and array analysis for cancer copy number alteration on a large scale compute cluster
• Develop a web portal to provide updates to The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA) Genome Characterization Center (GCC) leadership on production status, quality and results
• Work with the computational biologists and research scientists to take existing, working prototypes of advanced data analysis methods and transform them into robust, production quality software packages that can be run at scale
• Monitor and optimize our production analysis platform (Firehose)
• Perform investigative forensics upon data & algorithms
This position requires a sophisticated level of software expertise as well as a high level of skill in handling user requirements definition and ensuring accurate translation to on-target deliverables. Must enable the research of program scientists though excellent communication, teamwork, and a focus on delivering predictable results in a high-throughput and large-scale environment.
• Bachelor’s degree required in Computer Science or equivalent and 5+ years of software development experience
• Must possess excellent general computational and programming skills
• Strong programming skills in Java, Scala, Perl, Python or R, with web-development experience. Knowledge of Oracle and SQL a plus.
• Prior involvement or interest in biology or genomics domain a plus.
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to perform effectively in a fast paced collaborative environment required.
• Must be able to independently handle a variety of tasks, effectively solve problems with numerous and complex variables, and be able to shift priorities rapidly.
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE