Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
The Bioinformatics Core at Purdue is an organization designed to support and catalyze significant biological research efforts across the university. The Research Specialist in Bioinformatics will have the opportunity in conducting the workshops and possibility of co-authorship in publications. Requirements for this position include: a strong biological science background, preferably including non-model organisms; experience in genomics, and experience in handling data sets from 454, Illumina and/or SOLiD platforms. Perform routine and project specific data analysis including, but not limited to, de novo assembly, mapping and annotation of sequence data, RNA-Seq and ChIP-Seq analyses, SNP prediction and identification using various software packages. The applicant should be able to use scripting languages to manipulate the data files. Expected to interact with other 'omics' centers, Cyber Center and Statistical consulting Center to provide relevant services to the campus research community. Expected to stay current on new biological and bioinformatics methodologies. The position is required to support all the activities of the Bioinformatics Core at Purdue University.
• Bachelor's degree in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Molecular Biology or related field.
• Experience in handling Next Generation Sequencing and associated bioinformatics analyses.
• Experience in the use and application of bioinformatics software and tools to address biological research needs.
• Basic understanding of molecular biology, concepts of sequence assembly, alignment, annotation, working knowledge of genomics, bioinformatics and UNIX/LINUX.
• Proficiency in writing scripts using Perl, BioPerl, Python or equivalent languages.
• Strong communication skills with ability to communicate effectively with users of the Bioinformatics Core.
• Excellent time management and organizational skills with ability to work independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
• Highly motivated and detail oriented.
• Successful candidate will have the ability, interest and curiosity to learn new skills.
• Master’s degree in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Molecular Biology or related field.
• Skills in SNP identification and detection, RNA-Seq, ChIP-Seq, genome and transcriptome assembly, and gene annotation.
• A background check will be required for employment in this position.
• FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible For Overtime).
• Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contribution Waiting Period.
• Purdue University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer.
Apply Online at:
Job Number: 1300406