The Director of Pathology should be a proven leader in surgical pathology including a record of publications and teaching, have a demonstrated management history, and preferably experience in bridging traditional surgical pathology services, including immunohistochemistry, with new technologies including molecular pathology, digital pathology and image analysis.
He or she will provide functional management to the Clinical Pathology organization, including: daily pathology reads, oversight of all pathology tasks related to the daily operations of the Commercial Laboratory, strategic oversight to the Clinical Pathology organization, and surgical pathology expertise to the Clinical Pathology organization as well as support to Customer Service. The Director of Pathology will have expertise or subspecialty experience in breast, colon or prostate.
This person will be board certified in anatomic and clinical pathology with a California Medical License, have completed a surgical pathology fellowship, and have 12+ years expertise in pathology. Additional expertise or subspecialty training in urologic pathology, breast pathology or immunohistochemistry is preferred.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Pathology, the Director of Clinical Pathology is responsible for the overall operation and leadership of Genomic Health's growing Clinical Pathology organization. This experienced operational leader will continually build the Pathology team's capabilities as it takes on new products, new laboratory information management systems, new laboratory processes - such as digital pathology and image analysis, and rapidly increasing sample volumes.
He or she will collaborate with various departments and cross-functional teams to ensure the quality and timeliness with which patient and clinical development study samples are processed and will have accountability for the Clinical Pathology team's deliverables on a wide range of product development and process development projects. The Director will facilitate timely and effective communication with Customer Service, Histology and the Analytical Laboratory regarding service coverage needs and resolution of issues related to clinical patient samples, adjusting laboratory staffing levels as needed.
He or she will be accountable for the compliance of the Clinical Pathology Staff with all regulatory requirements and Genomic Health policies and procedures, participating in all inspections, documentation and monitoring of quality and performance metrics, and the implementation of process and quality improvement initiatives. He or she will also directly provide high quality pathology reads.
Management and oversight of all aspects of the Clinical Pathology Service (CPS) in order to provide the highest quality professional pathology services for Clinical Laboratory Operations including:
- Daily scheduling for all pathology reads, e.g., initial reads, QC reads, MMR reads
- IHC Service (responsible for providing IHC MMR service to GHI)
- Oversight of all microscopic review of clinical laboratory H&E slides
- Expert resource to CPS for review of submitted pathology reports and materials
- Leading the CPS consultative services for Customer Service, Sales, Marketing and Medical Affairs
- Directing Pathology interactions with the Histology Staff to ensure high quality and efficient operations
- Provide 50% service in the form of pathology reads to support the Clinical Laboratory (three days of scheduled pathology reads per week is to be expected)
- Management of the Genomic Health Pathology Consultancy
- Leading quarterly Genomic Health Consultant Pathology meetings with select Development Staff, Consulting Pathologists, Histotechnologists, and Lab Operations Staff
- Expert understanding of Laboratory Management including CLIA & CAP regulations to provide guidance to Genomic Health Operations group.
- Integration of new technologies into the CPS including digital pathology, image analysis, Next Generation Sequencing
- Directing the submission of pathology abstracts related to the clinical laboratory experience for publication to appropriate meetings which may include: SABCS, ASCO Breast, USCAP, CAP
- Assisting in writing pathology manuscripts related to the commercial process for publication
- Cultivate reputation as leader in Pathology with documented performance, professional accomplishment and publication history
- Support of Clinical Laboratory including public speaking on behalf of Genomic Health
- Support of Medical Affairs including public speaking on behalf of Genomic Health Development and Clinical Laboratories
- Participate in the development of the Pathology organization and business at Genomic Health
- Development of professional relationships with key internal collaborators in Genomic Health including: Information Technology, Sales and Marketing, Medical Affairs, Process Engineering, and Clinical Laboratory
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES & MEETINGS
- Participating member of CAP; experience in CAP leadership preferred
- Participating member of AMP
- Attend key pathology and laboratory medicine meetings including: AMP, USCAP & CAP
- Attend key oncology meetings including ASCO, SABCS
PUBLIC SPEAKING & PHYSICIAN EDUCATION
- Work with academic and community anatomic pathologists and staff to extend their understanding of the Genomic Health's products
- Participate in Genomic Health's Pathology Advisor's Group
- M.D. and board-certified in Anatomical and Clinical Pathology required
- CA Medical License required
- Completion of Surgical Pathology Fellowship
- Greater than 12 years of experience in Diagnostic Surgical Pathology
- Strong diagnostic skills in Surgical Pathology
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Highest level interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work as a collaborative team member are essential
- Strong communicator with ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers and externally with patients and clients
- Demonstrated excellent oral, written and presentation communication skills.
- Flexibility to changing methods and technologies
- Track record of success in managing and leading a pathology team
- Capable of innovative and proactive approaches in identifying new opportunities to refine and improve operations
- Capable of building productive cross-functional collaborations both within and external to Genomic Health
- Able to create formal networks with key decision makers and serve as external spokesperson for the organization
- Capable of working on significant and unique issues where analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangible variables and may impact future concepts, products or technologies
- Demonstrated capability in exercising latitude to determine objectives and approaches to critical assignments
- Able to act independently to determine methods and procedures on new assignments and guide the activities of other lower level personnel.
- Able to operate as a strategic leader within and outside the Genomic Health organization.
- Experience in industry with external customers
- Ability to work in a team and build collaboration and alignment
- Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner
- Able to prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis on quality
- Demonstrated ability to drive the delivery of quality results in a timely manner, either independently or by directing others
TRAVEL, PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT :
- Domestic and international travel will be required up to approximately 10%
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE