The Cepheid Engineering team is seeking a Consumables Engineer who will apply their experience with injection molded plastics to transform product requirements into sustainable, large-scale consumables production. The successful candidate must be able to use their knowledge of mechanical design, materials and mold processes to engineer custom solutions, improve current designs, interface with vendors, and enable large scale manufacturing of consumables for the medical device industry.
They will use their experience in consumables manufacturing to transition designs from the Concept phase through Design and Development and into Production. They will actively sustain and support re-qualifications of existing parts used in Production following tooling repairs and refurbishments. This is a hands-on position involving detailed design, testing, prototype fabrication and Engineering support of Production; must be able to interface well with other engineers, scientists, vendors, and operations personnel. There are no direct reports to this position.
- Maintain and/or improve existing consumables parts production, with an emphasis on refining part specifications, improving manufacturability, and achieving cost reductions
- Manage product lifecycles for multiple diverse consumables and ensure the timely introductions of new cartridge products.
- Use CAD modeling, prototyping, and hands-on lab testing to develop new designs to support and enhance consumable product line.
- Establish working relationships with vendors for parts/molds under Development. Coordinate with Purchasing for modification to parts in Production.
- Enforce high quality standards for all consumables products
- Design, test, and validate new consumable designs in collaboration with diverse functional groups
- Assist in failure investigations and root cause analyses as they relate to consumables parts performance
- Coordinate Engineering testing, first article inspections, and qualifications for new tools and repairs to existing tools.
- Write verification and validation protocols and related reports to support the transfer of designs into Production.
- Actively participate in group meetings and be a technical point person in project teams.
- Create custom fixtures and procedures for test of consumables parts designs and tolerancing.
- Work with Manufacturing Engineering to create initial BOMs and updated models as required.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Proven experience with large-scale injection molding (5-years minimum experience)
- Fundamentals of material properties, mold flow, and tooling design
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with SolidWorks.
- Must be proficient with standard Microsoft Office applications.
- Experience with inspection and measurement techniques
- Experienced with creating drawings, BOMs, product specifications
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE