Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Genomic Health is seeking an exceptional individual with strong scientific leadership, coupled with insightful managerial and organizational skills to lead the Bioinformatics Department, reporting to the Chief Scientific Officer. This person should have extensive experience in developing and evaluating bioinformatics tools to manage and analyze complex genomic data, and in collaborating with cancer biologists, clinicians, and other statisticians in the analysis and interpretation of data. The VP, Bioinformatics and their staff will participate in developing methodologies and implementing bioinformatics pipelines that contribute to the design, analysis and reporting of large scale controlled clinical trials and observational studies in oncology. These studies span multiple phases of clinical biomarker discovery and development, including methods development studies, clinical feasibility studies, gene identification studies, and large scale clinical validation studies. The bioinformatics methodologies and pipelines will be tailored to run on a state of the art high performance compute environment specifically built for these activities.
The successful candidate should be motivated by the opportunity to contribute to the discovery and development of diagnostic tests that are clinically useful in the treatment of cancer. He or she should be familiar with leading edge genomics technology platforms, e.g., next generation sequencing, and interested in leading technology-oriented scientists both to develop new bioinformatics methods and to develop production pipelines for clinical studies and support product development and for the clinical laboratory that supports patient care. The candidate should be a strong organizational leader and manager, with the desire and ability to oversee, mentor, and develop a staff of 15 or more to interact productively across functions with our Research, Medical, Biostatistics and Information Technology organizations as well as the rest of senior management and external collaborators in a manner that is consistent with our values and culture.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES :
- Sets overall strategy for bioinformatics at Genomic Health, that will support the collaborative efforts of Research and Development to discover and develop validated genomic tests, and that enhance the company's reputation for excellent science and technology.
- Direct managerial responsibilities include, but are not limited to, recruiting bioinformatics personnel, mentoring, and developing staff of 15+ staff and building the necessary infrastructure for the Department.
- Provides organizational leadership, in part, by building strong collaborative relationships with both internal and external groups, including, but not limited to, external collaborators and internal Departments, including Cancer Biology and New Technology groups in Research, Information Technology, Clinical, Biostatistics, Development, Process Engineering, Business, Intellectual Property, and Commercial Operations.
- Creates collaborative networks with external bioinformaticians, cancer biologists and clinical researchers and influences decisions to ensure quality of study designs and
- analyses, appropriateness of inferences and conclusions, and alignment with GHI strategic interests.
- Day to day leadership of the Bioinformatics Department, including evaluation of data as it is obtained. The candidate is expected to work on significant and unique issues that require creative solutions.
- Establishment of multiple pipelines that support the efforts in three different environments - for research studies, for development clinical studies, for patient care in the Genomic Health clinical laboratory.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- The candidate could have either an academic or industrial background, ideally experience in both.
- 10+ years of experience leading a large group (this may include play a significant leadership role in large collaborative studies).
- Strong track record of publications in leading scientific journals desired.
- Demonstrated excellence in bioinformatic/genomic research in oncology desirable.
- Strong communicator with ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers and customers throughout all levels and external scientific colleagues as needed.
- Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner.
- Able to prioritize and drive to results with an emphasis on quality.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Able to conduct independent research in bioinformatics methods to support GHI goals.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in leading collaborative efforts to obtain and analyze complex data.
- Strong verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Physics, Genetics or comparable demonstrated technical ability.
- Experience in analyzing and publishing the results from next generation sequencing experiments required.
- Some travel required - less than 10%
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE