Bioinformatics Systems Analyst 2/3 - Sequence Analysis - 75414
The DOE Joint Genome Institute (JGI) in Walnut Creek, CA (a division of the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab) has an exciting opportunity available for an experienced Bioinformatics Systems Analyst to perform DNA sequence analysis for production, and research and development projects. Duties include performing thorough quality and assembly analysis of DNA sequence data produced by the new generation of sequencing machines. Focus will be on analysis of metagenomic, plant, fungal, and microbial sequence data. Will implement improvements to data analysis systems, assess and improve existing tools, develop new tools for general use, and provide technical and analytical interpretation of data. May also provide custom analysis support to external collaborators and supervise non-exempt group members. Will report to the QC/QA Group Lead.
The selected candidate will be hired at the Analyst 2 or 3 classification depending upon the candidate's level of experience and qualifications.
Specific Job Duties
Sequence Analysis and Interpretation-
• Perform quality analysis of sequence data and assist others in interpretation of analyzed data.
• Define quality metrics for assessing library and sequencer performance.
• Utilize genome assemblers (such as Velvet, Newbler etc), visualization tools, and other genome assembly and analysis software.
• Evaluate assembly results and improve genome assemblies methods.
• Provide high quality data to collaborators.
• Provide clear and concise professional reports.
• Work closely with scientists and production staff to improve production line quality.
• Present technical and analytical status in meetings.
Bioinformatics Tool Development-
• Develop and improve tools to evaluate quality of data generated by various sequencing platforms and library types.
• Refine and improve existing analytical tools.
• Design and build new tools to analyze assembled sequences of various research projects.
• Troubleshoot system and data analysis problems and provide feedback on areas of improvement for existing tools.
• Provide technical support to implement new sequence analysis pipelines.
• Provide high quality documentation for newly developed software and approaches.
Essential Duties for the Analyst 3 - In addition to the required duties for a level 2, the Analyst 3 will:
• Work at a higher level of independence and responsibilities in carrying out assignments.
• Develop and implement substantial, known or novel, computational methods to improve the analysis capabilities and output of the group.
• Troubleshoot complex systems and data analysis problems.