Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Software Developer 3/4 - Institutional Informatics - 75337
DOE Joint Genome Institute in Walnut Creek, CA (a division of the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab) is seeking an experienced Software Developer/Engineer to support its Institutional Informatics. Under broad supervision, the ideal candidate will gather feedback and requirements to develop solutions to manage and process data for growing sequencing techniques. They should show extensive familiarity with standard genomic sequence data types, and demonstrate working experience in analysis methods.
The selected candidate will be hired at the Software Developer 3 or 4 classification level depending upon the candidate's level of experience and qualifications.
Specific Job Duties
• Design, implement, test and deploy analysis pipelines for handling of new sequencing technologies and techniques, and corresponding data with the eventual goal of integrating these with the institution’s existing informatics infrastructure.
• Build and develop web services to enable the continuing share and exchange of metadata between various software stacks.
• Create and be in charge of service tickets pertaining to the pipelines.
• Interact with peers to ensure efficient communication and completion of projects.
• Apply analytical skills and creativity to solve diverse and challenging problems.
Essential Duties for the Software Developer 4 - In addition to the required duties for a level 3, the Software Developer 4 will:
• Work at a higher level of independence and responsibilities in carrying out assignments.
• Will serve as a technical lead and key contributor called upon to troubleshoot and solve highly technical, complex problems.
• Work closely with Systems Administration group to optimize hardware and configuration for maximal portal performance and stability.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Bioinformatics, or related field with a minimum of five years of work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Demonstrated experience coding and debugging Java and object-oriented Perl.
• Demonstrated experience in developing analysis pipelines.
ª Strong SQL skills with good knowledge of database performance optimization related to schema design
• High degree of comfort on un*x command line and navigating unix file system.
• Ability to manage own development environment, modify web server and servlet configuration.
• Good working knowledge of basic genomic concepts, data types, and data analysis methods, and their representation in software systems.
• Ability to apply analytical skills and creativity to solve diverse and challenging problems.
• Detail-oriented with ability to work effectively in both team and solo environment.
• Good software development practices – self-documenting code, source control, bug tracking.
• Experience managing genomic data
Essential Qualifications for the Software Developer 4 - In addition to the required qualifications for the Software Developer 3, the Software Developer 4 will have:
• Bachelor's degree in Biology, Bioinformatics, Computer Science or related field with a minimum of seven years of work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Advanced degree (M.S./PhD preferred).
• Extensive genomic analysis software experience and substantial knowledge of various bioinformatics algorithms related to sequence analysis.
• Ability to troubleshoot complex software issues.
Berkeley Lab is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://bit.ly/lbl75337Genomeweb and follow the instructions to complete the application process.