Key Success Factors
• Ph.D. in Bioinformatics or a related field.
• Familiarity with molecular biology, comparative genomics, metagenomics, and microbial ecology.
• Experience in biological data analysis using programming languages such as Perl, C/C++, Java, or equivalent.
• Expertise in developing computational algorithms and building and using computer tools and databases for bioinformatics research and visualization.
• Broad understanding of bioinformatics tools used for genome and metagenome analysis (i.e., assembly, binning, gene calling, etc.) and gene function prediction (i.e. sequence alignment, database search, etc.).
• Experience with statistical data analysis using R, visualization of (comparative) genomics data and phylogenetic analysis.
• Experience with HPC environments/distributed computing such as Sun Grid Engine (SGE) or equivalent.
• Ability to document and summarize research results for presentation and publications; must have a strong record of publications in peer-reviewed journals.
• Strong analytical and organizational skills.
• Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a diverse team.
• Proficient computer skills, including experience using UNIX/Linux, Mac and/or PC operating systems.
Berkeley Lab is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce.