Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Software Developer 1 - Genomic Engineering and Production DNA Synthesis Programs - 75296
The DOE Joint Genome Institute (JGI) in Walnut Creek, California, (a division of the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab) has an exciting position available for a creative Software Developer. Under supervision, will work as part of a team to develop software to integrate the DNA construction pipelines under development at the JGI and at the Joint BioEnergy Institute (JBEI). Will work with scientists and other software developers to create user-friendly interfaces for existing bioinformatics software, and develop software platform integration infrastructure. Specific duties will include the development of a web-based graphical user interface (GUI) for external users of the JGI’s DNA Synthesis Program, and for integrating the JBEI DNA DIVA (Design, Implementation, Validation Automation) platform with the JGI DNA synthesis pipeline.
Specific Job Duties
• Prototype graphical user interface ideas, using OmniGraffle, Illustrator or other visual mock-up tools.
• Assist with the development of software infrastructure to support the integration of the JBEI DNA DIVA platform and the JGI DNA synthesis pipeline.
• Commit source code nightly using repository platforms such as Git.
• Contribute to user’s manuals for the developed interfaces and software integration infrastructure.
• Provide user support by responding to new feature requests and bug reports.
• Document and track feedback from end users.
• Troubleshoot basic systems problems and provide feedback on areas of improvement.
• Promote collaborative effort with other research and development groups.
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, to accomplish team goals.
• Attend project planning and review meetings.
• Participate in software release testing.
• Document weekly project tasks and progress reports.
Key Success Factors
• B.S. in Computer Science, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Bioengineering or related degree preferred. Technical training certificate in essential software development areas (below) acceptable.
• Proficiency in fundamental data structures and algorithms as well as object-oriented design.
• Proficiency with SQL and with linux.
• Proficiency with one or more scripting languages such as PHP, Python, and Perl.
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
• Experience with web services such as SOAP, REST, and XML RPC.
• Experience in developing software for scientific applications, specifically biological applications.
• Proficiency with JAVA
Berkeley Lab is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://bit.ly/lbl75296Genomeweb and follow the instructions to complete the application process.