Software Developer 1 - Genomic Engineering and Production DNA Synthesis Programs - 75296
The DOE Joint Genome Institute (JGI) in Walnut Creek, California, (a division of the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab) has an exciting position available for a creative Software Developer. Under supervision, will work as part of a team to develop software to integrate the DNA construction pipelines under development at the JGI and at the Joint BioEnergy Institute (JBEI). Will work with scientists and other software developers to create user-friendly interfaces for existing bioinformatics software, and develop software platform integration infrastructure. Specific duties will include the development of a web-based graphical user interface (GUI) for external users of the JGI’s DNA Synthesis Program, and for integrating the JBEI DNA DIVA (Design, Implementation, Validation Automation) platform with the JGI DNA synthesis pipeline.
Specific Job Duties
• Prototype graphical user interface ideas, using OmniGraffle, Illustrator or other visual mock-up tools.
• Assist with the development of software infrastructure to support the integration of the JBEI DNA DIVA platform and the JGI DNA synthesis pipeline.
• Commit source code nightly using repository platforms such as Git.
• Contribute to user’s manuals for the developed interfaces and software integration infrastructure.
• Provide user support by responding to new feature requests and bug reports.
• Document and track feedback from end users.
• Troubleshoot basic systems problems and provide feedback on areas of improvement.
• Promote collaborative effort with other research and development groups.
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, to accomplish team goals.
• Attend project planning and review meetings.
• Participate in software release testing.
• Document weekly project tasks and progress reports.