Team Lead- Sequencing Sample Management - 75184
The DOE Joint Genome Institute (DOE JGI) in Walnut Creek, CA (a Division of the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab) has an exciting leadership position available for an experienced research professional. Will serve as a team lead and coordinate the development, implementation and oversight of a newly acquired sample management system at the JGI. Will evaluate existing, alternative, and commercial solutions and recommend the most feasible solution for the short-, mid-, and long- term. Will continuously design, test, and analyze new processes and protocols to improve the efficiency and quality of sample receiving, QC and aliquot accuracy and efficiency. Will closely interact and collaborate with the library groups, Instrumentation and Informatics groups, as well as project management offices. Will provide resolution to technical problems of moderately complex scope where analysis of situations or data requires a review of identifiable factors. Will initiate testing and research projects to develop sample extraction and stabilization protocols and provide technical guidance for external users to provide high quality and quantity nucleic acids. Will exercise judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate actions. Will provide day-to-day guidance of several technical staff members in the area of routine to custom sample management. Position reports to the Sequencing Technologies Group Lead.
Specific Job Duties
• Serve as a team lead and develop a state-of-the-art sample management system ranging from sample receipt, sample handling through sample tracking.
• Build up an efficient sample tracking, archival and retrieval system that is can be flexible to handle a variety of biological sample types and project goals.
• Continuously optimize the sample processing protocols, instruments, reagents and troubleshoot problematic areas.
• Manage the day-to-day operation of sample management and oversee several staff members.
• Establish goals and objectives and contribute to the success of meeting scientific and technical goals of the team.
• Work closely with software developers to implement GLS LIMS in addition to physical tube management. Will be familiar the use of the system, provide training to the group members and provide useful input to the informatics team to improve the performance
• Conduct and improve the sample acquisition process that includes; barcode assignment and internal sample QC and sample aliquots. Provide technical support and guidance for users to help them extract high quality material.
• Responsible for self-directed experimentation and validation aimed at improving data quality and reducing materials cost through continuous improvement.
• Participate in cross-team and cross-group collaborative projects in the Sequencing Technology Group.
• Generate a complete set of documentation for all technology and optimization projects.
• Collaborate with members of the new technology development teams to assure that proper procedures are followed to introduce new protocols.