Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Medical/Vision/Dental, Life and AD&D, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance, 401k Retirement
The Laboratory of Aging and Neurodegenerative Disease (LAND) is seeking a Lab Manager to be part of our research team. The Lab Manager will work closely with the principal investigator in ensuring that the laboratory is running smoothly and will also participate in research projects within the lab. The two major research programs in the lab are focused on Aging and Neurodegenerative disease. Research into aging investigates the ability of genes to impact lifespan. Research into neurodegenerative disease is focused on Huntington and Parkinson disease with the goal of gaining further understanding of the mechanisms underlying the disease and developing effective treatments. Work in the laboratory is conducted in two complementary genetic model organisms: worms (C. elegans) and mice (M. musculus).
Please see our website for more details on current research in the laboratory and selected publications: http://www.vai.org/vari/research-programs/lab-of-aging-and-neurodegenera...
The Laboratory of Aging and Neurodegenerative Disease is part of the Center for Neurodegenerative Science at the Van Andel Research Institute in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The laboratory space is brand new as is the building, which opened in 2009. The Scientist recently named the Van Andel Research Institute as one of the top 3 places to work for postdoctoral fellows in the United States. In addition, Forbes magazine rated Grand Rapids as the nation's Best City to Raise a Family. Grand Rapids has the warmth of a small town with the amenities of a larger city and a large investment into medical and scientific research.
• M.Sc. in a related discipline with relevant lab experience; Ph.D. would be an asset
• Good oral and written communication skills
• Good organizational skills
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment
• Experience working with C. elegans would be an asset
• Experience with molecular biology particularly cloning would be an asset
• Experience in generating transgenic worms by microinjection and/or microparticle bombardment would be an asset
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit the following items as a single combined PDF file through our online submission system at: https://sj.tbe.taleo.net/CH18/ats/careers/jobSearch.jsp?org=VAI&cws=1.
1. A cover letter outlining your research background, research interests, future career goals, and how these factors fit with the current research in the Laboratory of Aging and Neurodegenerative disease.
2. A recent Curriculum Vitae.
3. A list of 3 individuals and their contact information that have agreed to act as referees.
Van Andel Institute (VAI) conducts biomedical research, with a focus on cancer and Parkinson diseases and also emphasizes translating scientific research results into clinical applications. VAI is located in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan, and is acknowledged as one of the leading independent research institutes expanding the life science industry in this region. Collaborative partnerships among world-class health care, research, and educational organizations have led to dramatic growth in the life sciences sector in the region, making Grand Rapids a career destination choice in this area.