This role is created for sales specialists that are successful sales and technical drivers and lead by example. It requires extensive knowledge of the Life Sciences and Clinical Diagnostics industries, and a demonstrated 5-7 year track record of success in this market place in consultative large opportunity sales and positioning products into new markets.
The successful candidate is the consumate executive sales professional that can encourage teams and demonstrate independently the ability to partner with clients and close large business opportunities.
The Technical Sales Specialist is a field sales position responsible for executive capital equipment and consumable sales through business development and relationship leveraging skills, in addition to basic selling techniques. The successful candidate will be a “Big Thinker”, provide expansion sales beyond the normal channels, be open and embrace change, be able to lead to develop markets within assigned selling territory and efficiently reduce the sales cycle time for complex sales. Additionally he or she will be able to interact at all levels of the internal and external organization but also be a driver for the products that Life Technologies sells and to be responsible for technically positioning the solutions vs. competitive products to efficiently achieve the sales quota.
This unique position manages the sales of a strategic product portfolio in an assigned geography in accordance with approved executive mandates for strategic company growth. The primary responsibility is managing and exceeding a sales quota. Additionally, the TSS will be responsible to work as a key intersect between the client, partner selling teams, support teams, product management, R&D, and Executive management. The successful Technical Sales Specialist is accustomed to frequent change and positively promotes the changes, works well in teams and as an individual leader, and implements new strategies and tactics to the changing market on a real time basis. Each Assays Specialist is accountable to run their business and exceed their quota.
The prospective candidate must be competent in a high level undestanding of molecular biology applications in disease research such as Cancer, Neurobiology, and coronary disease in addition to plant/animal genetic approaches for biofuels, seed genetics, and other innovative market segments. The successful candidate will be competent and confident in discussing, providing consultation, and closing large opportunities for projects that Principal Investigators, Directors, and Executive clients are interested in conducting. Additionally, the successful candidate quickly understands the business opportunity hierarchy and interacts across the entire hierarchy to maintain competitive edge for Life Technologies leading products to be the product of choice.
The inidividual will be recognized as a sales leader with technical skills within the sales force that drives strategic objectives and adoption of new products. This is attained by successfully selling new/strategic products, focusing on large opportunities and significantly decreasing the time to sale.
PLAN PERFORMANCE AND SALES SKILLS
• Demonstrate clear product/technology expertise to confidently serve as the field-based expert in the assigned workflow-based TaqMan/Real Time PCR and genotyping/gene-expression product portfolito exceed quota.
• Has proven workflow/solution and large opportunity selling skills, and must demonstrate a track record and ownership of consistent sales averaging $50,000- $2,000,000 per sale.
• Attain or exceed assigned sales goals, profit goals, and market share goals consistently.
· Is coachable and is open to expand his or her thinking and efficiently implement guidance.
• Mentor / serve as model to other other members the organization
• Call on all organizational levels and functional areas, focusing on lead decision makers at the Principle Investigator to Executive Management using solution selling techniques .
• Develop, write, and execute a business plan for managing assigned territory annually, updated quarterly. The plan will include growth of current business and development of under-penetrated markets.
• Develop presentations and client business proposals including structuring appropriate sales terms and contracts.
• Communicates effectively, and is the ‘connector’ within the large matrix organization
• Utilize data sources and internal database systems to analyze and capitalize on territory opportunities with the greatest ROI. Communicate key competitive activities, trends, and changing customer development plans and priorities.
COMMUNICATION, WRITTEN AND ORAL
• Executive communication for written and oral communication
• Field travel necessary (approx. 80%/ 4 days per week)
• Utilize proven organizational skills to successfully manage territory sales activities in balance with “housekeeping” tools such as CRM and financial databases
Nature and Scope
Is a peer group leader. Has strong leadership qualities. Is willing to take on increased responsibilities, sometimes outside the scope of the job. Can maintain a positive attitude and focus and excel under conditions of ambiguity. Capacity to manage expenses and execute sales and marketing plans. Strong analytical and business planning skills. Possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills to many diverse customer audiences such as Economic Decision Makers and other influencers/decision makers. Strong capabilities to interface effectively with all customer types. Ability to function effectively in a high performance team. Demonstrates a positive attitude and desire to succeed, especially under the most challenging situations. Must exhibit the passion and NEVER GIVE UP attitude requisite for this role that requires working in a complex environment with many groups and individuals both internally/externally. Exhibits a high degree of independence and flexibility in adapting to a rapidly changing environment, but is accountable to management. Strong organizational and prioritization skills. Ability and desire to learn quickly be successful