Sr. Research Associate- Transciptome - 75168
The DOE Joint Genome Institute (JGI) in Walnut Creek, CA, a division of the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab has an exciting position available for a Sr. Research Associate. Under general supervision will serve as part of a team and be responsible for performing research assignments and analysis in supprt of transcriptome and epigenome based analysis activities at the JGI. Specific tasks include; RNA sample Quality Control (QC), library construction and QC, submission to sequencing and develop new protocols. Will be responsible for understanding and applying the latest sequencing and library protocols surrounding next generation SBS chemistry and analysis, supporting new Research and Development (R&D) initiatives and investigating and determining how new library methods can be integrated into the JGI sequencing platforms. Will also interpret Rolling Quality Control (RQC) reports, analyze sequencing data, troubleshoot process failures and collaborate/interact with various levels of JGI staff and external collaborators.
Specific Job Duties
• Perform work assignments related to RNA based library production including; RNA sample QC, library construction, library QC and submission to sequencing.
• Follow up with accurate data entry into the LIMS system to allow tracking.
• Interpret RQC reports to understand library quality and identify library failures.
• Troubleshoot process issues and provide input for improvements.
• Prepare standard updates, progress reports and presentations on project status.
• Identify new R&D initiatives and propose implementation plans, timelines and milestones.
• Under supervision, lead R&D projects, from design experiments, perform experiments, collect data, analyze and interpret data to summarize and report results.
• Understand and apply next generation SBS chemistry, performance and library protocols.
• Investigate and determine how new library methods can be integrated into the JGI sequencing platforms.
• Write Standard operating procedures (SOPs) and protocols for new methods and cross-train team members on new procedures.
• Participate in testing and evaluating new automation, software, and biological protocols that are being introduced into the RNA based analysis process.
• Prepare budgeting and cost evaluation for various library types and perform process optimization to improve library quality and minimize cost
• Assist in training staff with new techniques and processes.
• Contribute to data, text, and conclusions in group publications.
• Attend and present project status at group meetings.
• Maintain an accurate and detailed notebook of observations in the laboratory.
• Research articles and journal reports to study and survey new techniques and instruments.
Key Success Factors
• B.S degree in Biology or Engineering or related discipline preferred and two to five years of experience in a Biology, Microbiology, Genetics or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Demonstrated experience working in a research laboratory performing next generation DNA/RNA sequencing.
• Strong molecular knowledge of cloning/transformation, vector construction, PCR, library construction and sequencing.
• Working experience in chromatin immunoprecipitation, real time quantitative PCR, chromatin conformation capture, fluorescein in situ hybridization.
• Computer and database proficiency (Excel data entry, powerpoint presentation on PC) as well as basic UNIX navigation skills.
• Ability to follow, update and redesign written laboratory protocols.
• Excellent and effective interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills; ability to interact collaboratively with staff at all levels of the organization.
• Must demonstrate efficient time management skills and the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
• Demonstrated ability to work autonomously as well as part of a diverse team environment.
• Good analytical skills to effectively evaluate data and make recommendations.
• Master’s Degree
• Knowledge of algal biology and culturing
• Bioinformatics experience
• Knowledge of Environmental, Health and Safety, Security, Procurement and business management policies and procedures.
Berkeley Lab is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to the development of a safe and diverse workforce.