Sequencing Informatics Manager - 74916
The DOE Joint Genome Institute (JGI) in Walnut Creek, CA (a division of the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab) has an exciting opportunity available for an experienced technical leader. Will lead Sequencing Informatics comprised of approximately 27 full-time Software Developers responsible for developing and maintaining systems for Data Management, Quality Control and Analysis, Production Process Support, Shared Services Support and Project Management Office Support. Will have full supervisory responsibilities for leading, directing, coordinating, and developing these teams as well as implementing, testing, integrating, and deploying software applications that interface seamlessly within and across the JGI departments. Will take an active role in developing and coordinating the activities of Sequencing Informatics to achieve both long-term software engineering goals, and will contribute to shaping the group's scientific and technical goals of the future including: continued development of a robust laboratory information management system (LIMS) to support current and next generation sequencing technologies, web-based tool development for managing, retrieving, analyzing, and visualizing data and development and implementation of project tracking systems. In addition, the group will provide other tools to store and access data as well as technical support for the web-based tools. Will be responsible for directing an ongoing process of innovation in defining, improving and expanding software applications and computational methods developed by the group, which interfaces with the other projects across the JGI. Will provide strategic direction and input to project-related decisions, determine methods and procedures for new assignments and work in a team environment with both scientists and software developers.
Specific Job Duties
• Provide strategic vision, direction and technical leadership to Sequencing Informatics which is comprised of approximately 27 full-time Software Developers responsible for Data Management, Quality Control and Analysis, Production Process Support, Shared Services Support and Project Management Office Support.
• Establish goals and objectives and contribute to the success of meeting scientific and technical goals of the group.
• Responsible for the continued development and improvement of the sequencing laboratory information management system, used to track various elements of the production sequencing processes.
• Responsible for software systems in support of data management for tracking and archiving the sequence generated by the various sequencing platforms as well as project tracking systems.
• Serve as a lead technical resource within Informatics and develop, implement and lead large scale projects and project plans.
• Participate in system architectural review and design.
• Maintain broad perspective on group activities, leading large-scale technical projects and acting as a primary point of contact for customers.
• Serve as a key contributor and central resource to other group members, peer groups and customers for system design and operational knowledge.
• Represent the group's needs and interests in collaborative efforts with other groups and departments.
• Act as a central participant in recruitment and other administrative/managerial tasks.
• Will champion the establishment of technical direction, corporate approach and methodologies for use of specified technologies.Will be responsible for solving highly technical and complex problems for several on-going projects.
• Work with scientific and administrative customers to define needs and priorities.
• Observe and promote configuration management and deployment policies.
• Lead formal and informal design and code reviews, and integrating additional sound software engineering practices.