Genomic Health, Inc. is seeking a Health and Safety Specialist to perform tasks guided by established policies and procedures and under the general direction of Facilities/H&S management. The H&S Specialist will have a background in executing and, where necessary, modifying such policies and in recommending and providing innovative and cost-effective solutions. A well-qualified candidate will possess proficiency in H&S program organization and administration including: emergency preparedness, health and safety training, incident investigation, environmental reporting, hazardous materials and waste management, inspection/auditing, ergonomics, Worker's Compensation, biosafety, and promoting employee involvement in health and safety
The H&S Specialist will have the ability to communicate to a broad and diverse audience and be able to work closely with internal clients to coordinate safety-related services. The Specialist shall possess an excellent working knowledge of local, state and Federal regulations and requirements that apply to Genomic Health's local operations. The Specialist shall participate as a member of the Emergency Action Team and respond to health and safety-related emergencies.
- Assist in the development, facilitation and coordination of H&S-related training, including the development of instructional aids/activities and assessment tests and metrics to measure comprehension and advancement of an effective health and safety culture.
- Partner with Facilities staff, the Safety Committee and other functional groups to improve safety awareness and communication.
- Perform job hazard assessments (JHAs) and provide technical knowledge in the development of health and safety controls, programs and workplace hazard control strategies. Evaluate processes (old and new), chemicals and equipment to identify and provide recommendations to mitigate hazards.
- Review accident/incident/exposure investigations performed by supervisors and assess the effectiveness of recommended corrective actions.
- Identify health and safety hazards at Genomic Health's local facilities and make recommendations on actions necessary to mitigate such hazards.
- Assist in the development and implementation of health and safety programs in the area of electrical safety, lock-out/tag-out, automated external defibrillator (AED), fall protection and contractor safety.
- Support and assist in the improvement of the company ergonomics program.
- File and manage Worker's Compensation claims and coordinate case management with employees, their supervisors', medical providers and insurer.
- Maintain permits and prepare regulatory reports including OSHA 300 log, HMBP, hazardous waste reports and air quality permit updates.
- Maintain understanding of safety-related codes (e.g. ASHRAE, CalOSHA/OSHA, CalEPA/DTSC, building and fire codes, etc.).
- Inspect, support and assist in the improvement of emergency response team and facility emergency systems. Contribute to and be an active participant on the company emergency action team.
- Support existing hazardous materials and hazardous and medical waste programs. Develop recommendations for improving the programs. Coordinate and administer disposal activities and oversee proper storage operations.
- Maintain health and safety documentation including SOPs, and MSDSs, provide for document review for accuracy, effectiveness and correspondence to the safety program and the promotion of a safety culture.
- Review drawings and provide input as needed for construction projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum qualifications include a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, Environmental Science or related Science with two to six years of work experience within Health and Safety. Familiarity with federal, state and local regulations and environmental health and safety standards is required. Demonstrated writing, verbal and presentation skills are required. Professional credential or certification is desirable. Must be able to manipulate items up to 50 pounds, wear a respirator and work with hazardous materials.
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE