Computational Biologist Postdoc Fellow - Genome Analysis - 75043
The DOE Joint Genome Institute (JGI) in Walnut Creek, CA (a division of the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab) has an exciting research opportunity available for a Computational Biologist Postdoctoral Researcher. Under general supervision of the principal investigator, perform research relevant to the missions of the Genome Analysis Group. Will work as part of a team that includes biologists, bioinformaticians, and computational biologists to develop novel algorithms and apply high performance computing technologies, including but not limit to cloud computing and GPU computing, to data intensive sequence analysis. Will also be responsible for publishing scientific manuscripts describing results. For more information about potential projects please refer to our recent publication: http://www.sciencemag.org/content/331/6016/463.full
Specific Job Duties
• Apply cutting-edge high performance computing methods to analyze terabase-scale sequence data derived from large genome, transcriptome and metagenome sequencing projects.
• In collaboration with academic and industry leaders, develop novel algorithms based on Cloud and GPU computing to speed up existing bioinformatics software.
• Develop new algorithms to cope with data derived from new sequencing technologies (e.g., PacBio).
• Prepare research results for publication and for presentations at scientific meetings
• Provide ad hoc general analytical support to the Genome Technology group.
Key Success Factors
• Recent PhD in computer science, bioinformatics, or in related disciplines with training/experience in high performance computing.
• Proven skills in algorithm development.
• Knowledge in common bioinformatics algorithms (alignment/assembly, etc) is a plus.
• Strong organizational and record keeping skills to record experiment results and analyze data.
• Effective oral and written communication skills to present findings at group meetings and conferences and publish results.
• Ability to interact with a variety of technical and scientific personnel including Research Associates, Scientists and Software Engineers.
• A commitment to and demonstrated ability to perform collaborative research in an interdisciplinary team environment
Berkeley Lab is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce.