Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Caliper, a PerkinElmer company is seeking a Mechanical Engineer to design, develop and produce new or modified scientific instrumentation with applications in bio-imaging, micro-fluidics and lab automation used in life science research. Responsibilities will include the design of precision positioning mechanisms, gas handling devices, instrument enclosures, and systems integration. This engineer will be involved with the entire product lifecycle from the developing breadboards and prototypes, verification, release to manufacturing, and sustaining support. He/she will work in a team environment interacting with other R&D engineers, as well as the Field Service, Marketing, and Manufacturing departments.
• Responsible for the conception, design, development, testing, and support of complex instrumentation consisting of electro-mechanical, optical, and imaging subsystems.
• Designs will include filters, fiber optics, lenses, mirrors, diffusers, CCD cameras for use in visible and/or x-ray imaging systems
• Definition of hardware platforms that effectively meet performance, cost and project scheduling requirements
• Design of precision mechanisms and positioning systems incorporating low-cost custom linear motion components
• Communicates effectively with engineers, scientists, customers and other department personnel.
• Tolerance analysis of mechanical systems, working knowledge of ANSI Y14.5
• Successfully applies expertise with safety procedures and regulatory agency compliance requirements (FDA/CE/TUV)
• Understands and follows the Product Life Cycle process, ECO release and documentation.
• Releases systems into production. Supports systems as needed. Supports the manufacturing operations as required.
• BS/MS Mechanical Engineering
• Minimum 5 years experience designing scientific instrumentation
• Demonstrated track record of taking design from concept to production.
• SolidWorks experience
• Knowledge of manufacturing processes such as machining, optical fabrication, sheet metal fabrication, urethane casting, pressure forming, and injection molding
• Knowledge of ZEMAX a plus
• Experience with ISO and FDA regulated environments a plus
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential of the above listed essential duties satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
BS/MS Mechanical Engineering with minimum of 5 years’ experience designing scientific instrumentation
REASONING ABILITY Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism [formulas, scientific equations, graphs, etc in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
For consideration please submit your resume to https://perkinelmer.tms.hrdepartment.com/cgi-bin/a/highlightjob.cgi?jobi...
If you know of someone who would be a good fit for this position, feel free to forward them this information.
Caliper, a PerkinElmer company is a premier provider of cutting-edge technologies enabling researchers in the life sciences industry to create life-saving and enhancing medicines and diagnostic tests more quickly and efficiently. Caliper is aggressively developing new technologies to bridge the gap between in vitro assays and in vivo results and then translating those results into cures for human disease. Caliper's portfolio of offerings includes state-of-the-art microfluidics, lab automation & liquid handling, optical and tissue imaging technologies, and discovery & development outsourcing solutions.
If you are committed to making a significant difference worldwide, we invite you to learn more about the amazing opportunities that await you at Caliper, a PerkinElmer company.