Caliper, a PerkinElmer company is seeking a Mechanical Engineer to design, develop and produce new or modified scientific instrumentation with applications in bio-imaging, micro-fluidics and lab automation used in life science research. Responsibilities will include the design of precision positioning mechanisms, gas handling devices, instrument enclosures, and systems integration. This engineer will be involved with the entire product lifecycle from the developing breadboards and prototypes, verification, release to manufacturing, and sustaining support. He/she will work in a team environment interacting with other R&D engineers, as well as the Field Service, Marketing, and Manufacturing departments.
• Responsible for the conception, design, development, testing, and support of complex instrumentation consisting of electro-mechanical, optical, and imaging subsystems.
• Designs will include filters, fiber optics, lenses, mirrors, diffusers, CCD cameras for use in visible and/or x-ray imaging systems
• Definition of hardware platforms that effectively meet performance, cost and project scheduling requirements
• Design of precision mechanisms and positioning systems incorporating low-cost custom linear motion components
• Communicates effectively with engineers, scientists, customers and other department personnel.
• Tolerance analysis of mechanical systems, working knowledge of ANSI Y14.5
• Successfully applies expertise with safety procedures and regulatory agency compliance requirements (FDA/CE/TUV)
• Understands and follows the Product Life Cycle process, ECO release and documentation.
• Releases systems into production. Supports systems as needed. Supports the manufacturing operations as required.