Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Bonus + Private Medical + Numerous Other Flexible Benfits
Life Technologies has an opportunity for a Qualified Bioinformatician to work in conjunction with the Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics at Oxford University. The position will be based on site in Oxford. This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious and dynamic individual to join a fast-paced global Life Sciences organization with the opportunity to work on cutting edge next generation sequencing technologies.
This is a unique opportunity suited for a qualified bioinformatician to work on a new software product applying the Ion Torrent semiconductor sequencing platform to cancer genomics. This project aims to develop a next generation sequencing test to replace the more expensive methods currently in use.
In this role, you will work directly with the partner, Oxford University, being part of a small team from Life Technologies that resides at the partner site. You will be responsible for liaising the partner with internal development teams to resolve issues related to data analysis, including issues with software and the relevant computing environment. You may also develop tools for next generation sequence analysis, and perform custom data analysis. Working with scientists at Oxford and Life Technologies, you will identify and prioritize opportunities and methods to improve the analysis methods and software.
· Work closely with the partner to solve their bioinformatics challenges, which may include troubleshooting, problem-solving, scripting work to resolve issues
· Coordinate the support from the Life Technologies development team to resolve issues at the partner site
· Gather feedback from partners to help the product management team prioritize requirements for future hardware and software development
· Create training materials, protocols, and applications notes on data analysis
· Analyze sequencing data, design analysis strategies, tools and algorithms
· Participate in software testing of pre-release software
Masters or PhD in bioinformatics, computer science, statistics, or equivalent
· Minimum 1-2 years of experience in bioinformatics and data analysis
· Practical experience with open source bioinformatics tools
· Experience in data analysis of next-generation sequencing data is required
· Demonstrated software development skills including some of the following: Java, Python, Perl, C++
· Relational database experience would be an advantage
· Knowledge of cancer genomics is a distinct advantage
· Knowledge and experience with statistics is a plus
· Demonstrated written and verbal communication and presentation skills focused on medical and research staff of all levels
· Ability to work effectively in a cross functional team setting
Making Life Even Better
When it comes to the vision of shaping discovery and improving life, no other company can match the breadth of products and services in the life sciences field to meet this vision than Life Technologies. Created through the combination of biotechnology leaders Applied Biosystems and Invitrogen, Life Technologies’ systems, consumables and services enable researchers to accelerate scientific exploration, driving to discoveries and developments that improve the human condition and the world around us. Our customers do their work across the biological spectrum, working to advance personalized medicine, regenerative science, molecular diagnostics, agricultural and environmental research, and 21st century forensics. With historical sales of approximately $3.5 billion, a presence in more than 100 countries, and a rapidly growing intellectual property estate of over 3,600 patents and exclusive licenses, we are poised to truly shape the world of science. Join a team of more than 9,500 employees around the world who are engaged, curious, insightful, responsible and driven to make life even better.