Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
As a Scientist at Illumina you will work in a dynamic, team-oriented environment and help create genomic analysis tools used in the leading edge of research. You will be a key contributor to integrated and multidisciplinary teams developing new, and improving existing technology platforms. You will plan, initiate, and execute scientific research and/or critical development strategies for Illumina through the research staff and/or individual studies.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Research and develop to create new products. Identify, plan, evaluate, pursue and manage research ideas leading to large-scale, highly-multiplexed products for bio-molecule quantification based on Illumina’s proprietary technologies.
• Perform a wide range of chemistry functions, including novel materials design, characterization and modification, polymerization and polymer characterization, small molecule synthesis, oligonucleotide and peptide synthesis, and bio-conjugation and modification of bio-molecules.
• Participate in multi disciplinarily genomics- or proteomics-based projects interacting with engineers, programmers, project coordinators, and other researchers.
• Investigate the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts to potential inventions, products and problems. Troubleshoot and improve existing processes and/or chemistries to establish robust and reproducible product or process performance.
• Explore new technologies and identify creative solutions to overcome current limitations.
• Design, implement, analyze and present experiments to demonstrate feasibility of new methods and efficiently move products through pipeline.
• Work independently and within teams. Conduct clear and concise communication with colleagues and supervisors through oral updates, written reports and technical meetings. Present status updates to Senior Management, including recommendations based on experimental results.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Preferred Educational Background:
• Ph.D. in materials science, physics, analytical or physical chemistry, or related field. A minimum of 0-2 yrs experience in a multidisciplinary Research and Development laboratory is preferred.
Preferred Experiential Background:
An ideal candidate will have a diverse background with experience in a majority of the following areas:
• A broad scientific knowledge base (instrumentation, optics, chemistry, molecular biology, software etc).
• Understanding of current MEMS industry, micro-fabrication technology, techniques, and associated surface and materials chemistry.
• Strong math and statistics background, ability to use programming languages, excellent data analysis skills..
• Experience with the design and production of micro-fluidics devices via photolithography, hot embossing, micro-imprinting, PDMS polymerization, and other manufacturing techniques.
• Demonstrated expertise in materials chemistry, interface or colloidal chemistry, surface chemistry, and/or polymer science for the development of new materials such as nanotechnology materials, composites, and/or novel polymeric materials.
• Experience in bio-conjugation chemistry, dyes, and dye-based sensor systems for biochemical assay development; additional molecular sensing applications are a plus.
• Experience in oligonucleotide or peptide synthesis, modification and purification is a plus.
• Ability to overcome technical challenges in a fast-paced, commercial environment within an interdisciplinary team setting and independently.
• Experience with next-generation sequencing methods helpful.
• Excellent communication skills required.
• Motivated, enthusiastic, hard-working, cheerful individual who desires to be part of a fast-paced dynamic development environment.
Please apply online: