Sponsor: Rubicon Genomics
Recording Date: 2/19/2014
Recording Time: 1 hour
Basic Function and Scope of the Position:
The Associate Director will lead and/or assist in the initiation and conduct of a wide spectrum of Medical Affairs activities at Illumina. This position will require a doctoral-level degree in the Life Sciences (PhD, DPhil, MD, DO); graduate or post-graduate expertise in Molecular Genetics highly preferred. A few years of experience in a clinical setting, and additionally in industry, would be preferred. Management experience would also be a plus. This individual will work closely with the Marketing, Sales, Research & Development, Business Development, Clinical Development, and Regulatory Affairs functions at Illumina. The position may require 30-50% travel, nationally and internationally. Additionally, he/she will interface with contacts outside the company, including practicing physicians, clinical researchers, subject-matter experts, continuing medical education (CME) providers, professional medical organizations, advisory boards, health insurers, and regulatory authorities.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Develop and/or review materials (e.g., presentations, abstracts, publications), ensuring clinical-scientific accuracy and fair balance; facilitate peer-to-peer exchanges of clinical-scientific information with clinicians and researchers; establish and maintain relationships with professional organizations, research institutions, and subject-matter experts (SMEs); manage educational grants, including CME programs; provide clinical-scientific expertise (e.g., presentations, abstracts, opinion papers) pertaining to the company’s technology at internal and external events; gather competitive intelligence and stay abreast of external developments pertaining to current and potential clinical applications of the company’s technologies; organize Medical advisory boards and clinical speaker bureaus; manage Investigator Initiated Studies; design and manage company-sponsored post-marketing clinical studies within GCP guidelines; support internal training efforts pertaining to clinical applications; respond to clinical-scientific inquiries from internal and external parties; perform Medical reviews of outward-facing materials pertaining to clinical uses of the company’s technologies; investigate and respond to clinical safety issues for the company’s marketed products; inform the due diligence process for business development opportunities, from a clinical-scientific perspective; manage projects to planned budgets and timelines; manage a team of medical science liaisons (MSLs) and/or other Medical Affairs personnel (including hiring, development, and performance evaluation of staff to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the team); manage external consultants and CROs, as appropriate; create and implement departmental procedures; and ensure operation within current compliance guidelines governing Medical Affairs activities.
Equal Opporutunity Employer
Preferred Educational Background:
• PhD, DPhil, MD, or DO required; graduate or post-graduate specialization in Medical Genetics highly preferred.
Preferred Experiential Background:
• Minimum 3 years of functional experience in Medical Affairs (e.g., as a Medical Science Liaison or higher) highly preferred; similar experience in academic or clinical research settings will be considered.
• Knowledge of statutory and industry-level compliance requirements pertaining to Medical Affairs
• Excellent attention to detail, time management skills and meeting deadlines
• Strong interpersonal skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills (English)
• Ability to articulate complex scientific concepts in 1:1 and group settings
• Strong multi-tasking, prioritization, and organizational skills
• Ability to reflect positive attitude and disciplined work ethic
• Ability to work in a team; a strong team player
• Ability to work independently; a self-starter
• Ability to quickly absorb emerging knowledge
• Ability to work with office automation programs and corporate database tools
Please apply online: