Key Success Factors
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Bioinformatics, or related field with a minimum of two years of work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Demonstrated experience utilizing Perl, C, UNIX, and subversion/cvs.
• Ability to discuss and manipulate algorithms and effectively work with advanced data structures.
• Ability to optimize at the code level and at the algorithmic / run-time complexity level.
• Demonstrated experience utilizing disciplined and modern coding habits such as self-documenting code, unit testing, and pair-programming.
• Strong problem-solving, decision-making, and analytical skills to make sound judgments and recommend creative solutions to moderately complex problems.
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with scientific and administrative customers to define needs and priorities.
• Detail-oriented with strong organizational interpersonal skills to address user needs in an effective and timely manner.
• Demonstrated experience with C++/boost established best practices.
• Ability to think quantitatively and employ statistical methods to evaluate sequence data.
• Interest and facility in algorithmic research involving graph theory, string comparison, or other bioinformatically-relevant areas of computer science.
• Experience developing for parallel environments such as Sun Grid Engine and pbx.
Essential Qualifications for the Software Developer 3 - In addition to the required qualifications for the Software Developer 2, the Software Developer 3 will have:
• Bachelor's or Master's degree in Biology, Bioinformatics, Computer Science or related field with a minimum of five years of work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Demonstrated expertise processing large volumes of data, whole-genome data analysis, phylogenetics, and comparative genomics.
• Ability to troubleshoot complex systems and data analysis problems.
Berkeley Lab is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce.